CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Oven-Roasted Applesauce

Martha Stewarts recipe
Makes 2 Cups

1/4 c. cider or apple juice

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

pinch of ground cloves or nutmeg

1 tsp. lemon juice

1/4 c. plus 2Tbsp. packed brown sugar

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter

3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths

3 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
Pinch of salt

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a roasting pan (13x9) combine first 6 ingredients. Add all the apples and toss to coat.

2. Roast until the apples are very soft and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer apples to the bowl of a food processor; pulse until smooth. Stir in the salt. Serve warm.

When I make applesauce, I use this baking method, but I don't add anything to the apples except the lemon juice and 1/4 c. water and I use Golden Delicious or Gala apples for the whole thing. I also like my applesauce chunky, so I just mash the roasted apples with a potato masher instead of putting them in a food processor. Either way is fine. I've made this applesauce with all the stuff in it and it's awesome, but for baby food, or just a simple applesauce, it's ok to leave all the other stuff out. The apples are sweet enough without adding sugar.
You can freeze this in ziploc bags for about 6+months. Just make sure it lays flat when you freeze it so it takes up less room in the freezer.


Thanks, Katie, for passing this along. I can't wait to try it!

0 comments: